Editable Report Templates
Customizing your feedback reports
Note: these features apply to the Professional and Enterprise Editions of EchoSpan
Editable Report Components give you control over the layout and appearance of your reports. They allow you to change the names of report sections, styles of charts and graphs, create reports for different languages and much more, all within the administrative tool.
The components are available to customize and use to build report templates from the Reports menu option by clicking "Edit Report Templates." Report templates can be used to create reports for Targets across all projects in your account.
- How do I create a new report template?
- How do I add components to a report template?
- How do I customize each component?
- Can I preview a report component?
- How do I change the order of my components in a template?
- How do I delete a component from a template?
- How do I rename a report template?
- How do I edit the font for my report template?
- How do I delete a report template?
- What dynamic text fields can I use in my report?
- What does the "Report Language" setting do?
- How do I customize reports for different languages?
Details on how to use this feature are below:
1. How do I create a new report template?
- If you would like to create a custom template to use, instead of or in addition to our standard report templates, you would go to the Reports menu option >> Edit Report Templates.
- Click the "Create a New Template" button at the top of the page.
- Enter a title for your report template.
- Select how you would like the template to be created. You can:
- Start with a blank report template (A new report template will be created with the cover page component only).
- Duplicate the current report template (The template that is currently open for editing on your screen will be duplicated).
- Duplicate the template below (Allows you to select one of your current templates from a drop down).
- Click the "Submit" button and your template will be opened to allow for editing.
Creating and Editing Report Templates
2. How do I add components to a report template?
- Click the "Open a Template to Edit" button at the top of the page.
- Select the template you would like to edit from the drop-down.
- Click the "Open Template" button.
- Click the "Insert a Report Section" button at the top of the page to insert a new report section. By default the system will display EchoSpan's editable report components, which are recommended.
- Check the radio button
next to each section that you would like to
add to your open template. You will be able to preview, edit, and remove the
section as needed, once it is added.
NOTE: There are three types of components that can be added to your report template. Components from different sections can be used together. The new, editable report templates are recommended.
- Editable - New editable report components.
- Legacy - Static report templates from previous versions of the tool.
- Custom Library - Components created for your account by EchoSpan's
development team. By default this list will be empty.
- Click the "Add Selected Components" button at the bottom of the window.
3. How do I customize each component?
- Go to the Reports menu option >>Edit Report Templates.
- Click the "Open a Template to Edit" button and select the template for which you would to customize.
- Click the "Settings" option on the right side of the screen for the component that you would like to edit.
- Here, you will find options to customize titles, introductions text, graphics and more. Select the check box next to the option you would like to customize and then enter your text or choose your desired default setting.
- Once you have completed customizations for the section click the "Close" button at the bottom, of the window and your settings will be saved.
4. Can I preview a report component?
- Yes - click "Preview" to the right of the component name to see an example of how this component will look in your report. Note that preview images are static and do not account for any changes that you may have made in the "Settings" screen of the report component.
5. How do I change the order of my components in a template?
- Open your template for editing, place your mouse on the component you would like to move, hold down the left mouse button and drag the component where you would like it placed, then release the mouse button.
- Click the "Save Page Order" button at the top of the page.
6. How do I delete a component from a template?
- Open the template for editing and click "Remove" to the right of the component name.
7. How do I rename a report template?
- Open the template for editing, then edit the title text at the top of the page. The changes will be saved automatically.
8. How do I edit the font for my report template?
- The font can be adjusted for report components that use editable report components exclusively. NOTE: You do not have the option to select a font type when combining "Legacy" and "Editable" or "Custom Library" components into a single template. Report templates with older components will default to the Arial font.
- Click the "Report Font" button at the top of the page and select the radio button for the font you would like to use.
- Click "Save Selection".
9. How do I delete a report template?
- Open the template you would like to delete.
- Click the "Delete This Template" button at the top of the page.
10. What dynamic text fields can I use in my report?
The reporting system can insert dynamic text into your report where desired. A list of available dynamic text merge field tags are below. Just type them into any editable text field and when your report is run, they'll be replaced with the value associated with each. Note that merge field tag names are case-sensitive.
Merge Field Tag Replaced With Value [[surveyname]] The name of the review project [[targetname]] The Target's first and last names [[today]] Today's date [[reportdate]] The date the report was originally generated [[targetdate]] The date a target was entered into the system [[reporttemplate]] The name of the report template [[groupreporttitle]] The title of the group report (set when creating a group report) [[company]] Your company's name [[pagebreak]] Inserts a page break in a formatted text field
11. What does the "Report Language" setting do?
EchoSpan's editable report components are designed to work with more than 50 languages automatically. Setting the value of the "Report Language" option tells the reporting system which language you want reports generated in.
By default, when a non-English language is selected, the reporting system will translate all static report content to the chosen language automatically. You can override default static text by entering preferred translated text in the Settings panels for each report component.
Please note that Rater comments will remain in the language entered and are not translated.
12. How do I customize reports for different languages?
All editable report components (with the exception of comments and recommended reading) support translation into 50+ languages. Report content, such as review competencies, items, relationship group names and rating scales are taken from the translated values that the administrator enters in the Setup >> Language Translations screen. Other fields' default content (such as opening paragraphs in the "About this Report" component) will be automatically translated. If you do not enter custom report page titles and instructions, the default values will be translated automatically, as well.
To create a report in a language other than English, do the following:
Step 1. Create a project with custom language translations.
Step 2. Create a custom report template containing editable report components.
Step 3. Bind the report template to a language using the drop-down box on the report template editor page (pictured below). This means that every time a report is run with this template, it will be run using the selected language. As such, it's a good idea to include the language name in the report template title (i.e. Spanish Full Report). Also note that the language selections in this drop-down are limited to the language translations applied to this particular project.
Step 4. Customize your report settings as desired, entering text values such as Custom Title or Custom Intro Text in the language you've selected for this report.