Note: these features apply to the Professional and Enterprise
Editions of EchoSpan
Editable Report Components give you control over the layout and appearance of
your reports. They allow you to change the names of report sections, styles of
charts and graphs, create reports for different languages and much more, all
within the administrative tool.
The components are available to customize and use to build report templates
from the Reports menu option by clicking "Edit Report Templates." Report
templates can be used to create reports for Targets across all projects in your
- How do I create a new report template?
- How do I add components to a report template?
- How do I customize each component?
- Can I preview a report component?
- How do I change the order of my components in a template?
- How do I delete a component from a template?
- How do I rename a report template?
- How do I edit the font for my report template?
- How do I delete a report template?
- What dynamic text fields can I use in my report?
- What does the "Report Language" setting do?
- How do I customize reports for different languages?
Details on how to use this feature are below:
1. How do I create a new report template?
- If you would like to create a custom template to use,
instead of or in addition to our standard report templates, you would go to
the Reports menu option >> Edit Report Templates.
- Click the "Create a New Template" button at the top of
- Enter a title for your report template.
- Select how you would like the template to be created. You can:
- Start with a blank report template (A new report template will be
created with the cover page component only).
- Duplicate the current report template (The template that is
currently open for editing on your screen will be duplicated).
- Duplicate the template below (Allows you to select one of your
current templates from a drop down).
- Click the "Submit" button and your template will be opened to
allow for editing.
Creating and Editing Report Templates
2. How do I add components to a report template?
3. How do I customize each component?
- Go to the Reports menu option >>Edit Report Templates.
- Click the "Open a Template to Edit" button and select
the template for which you would to customize.
- Click the "Settings" option on the right side of the
screen for the component that you would like to edit.
- Here, you will find options to customize titles, introductions text,
graphics and more. Select the check box next to the
option you would like to customize and then enter your text or choose your
desired default setting.
- Once you have completed customizations for the section click the "Close"
button at the bottom, of the window and your settings will be saved.
4. Can I preview a report component?
- Yes - click "Preview" to the right of the component name to see an
example of how this component will look in your report. Note that preview
images are static and do not account for any changes that you may have made
in the "Settings" screen of the report component.
5. How do I change the order of my components in a template?
- Open your template for editing, place your mouse on the component you
would like to move, hold down the left mouse button and drag the component
where you would like it placed, then release the mouse button.
- Click the "Save Page Order" button at the top of the page.
6. How do I delete a component from a template?
- Open the template for editing and click "Remove" to the
right of the component name.
7. How do I rename a report template?
- Open the template for editing, then edit the title text at the top of
the page. The changes will be saved automatically.
8. How do I edit the font for my report template?
- The font can be adjusted for report components that use editable report
components exclusively. NOTE: You do not have the option to select a font
type when combining "Legacy" and "Editable" or "Custom Library" components
into a single template. Report templates with older components will default
to the Arial font.
- Click the "Report Font" button at the top of the page and select the
radio button for the font you would like to use.
- Click "Save Selection".
9. How do I delete a report template?
- Open the template you would like to delete.
- Click the "Delete This Template"
button at the top of the page.
10. What dynamic text fields can I use in my report?
The reporting system can insert dynamic text into your report where
desired. A list of available dynamic text merge field tags are below. Just type
them into any editable text field and when your report is run, they'll be
replaced with the value associated with each. Note that merge field tag
names are case-sensitive.
||The name of the review project
||The Target's first and last
||The date the report was
||The date a target was entered
into the system
||The name of the report
||The title of the group report
(set when creating a group report)
||Your company's name
||Inserts a page break in a
formatted text field
11. What does the "Report Language" setting do?
EchoSpan's editable report components are designed to work with more
than 50 languages automatically. Setting the value of the "Report Language"
option tells the
reporting system which language you want reports generated in.
By default, when a non-English language is
selected, the reporting system will translate all static report content to
the chosen language automatically. You can override default static text by entering
preferred translated text in the Settings panels for each report component.
Please note that Rater comments will remain in the language entered and are
12. How do I customize reports for different languages?
All editable report components (with the exception of comments and
recommended reading) support translation into 50+ languages. Report content,
such as review competencies, items, relationship group names and rating
scales are taken from the translated values that the administrator enters in
the Setup >> Language Translations screen. Other fields' default content
(such as opening paragraphs in the "About this Report" component) will be
automatically translated. If you do not enter custom report page titles and
instructions, the default values will be translated automatically, as well.
To create a report in a language other than English, do the following:
Step 1. Create a project with
Step 2. Create a custom report template containing editable report
Step 3. Bind the report template to a language using the drop-down box on
the report template editor page (pictured below). This means that every time
a report is run with this template, it will be run using the selected
language. As such, it's a good idea to include the language name in the
report template title (i.e. Spanish Full Report). Also note that the
language selections in this drop-down are limited to the language
translations applied to this particular project.
Step 4. Customize your report settings as desired, entering text values such
as Custom Title or Custom Intro Text in the language you've selected for